Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Outlet stores are scams

Stores definitely jack prices up and then mark them down to normal price and call it a sale. One of my old high school buddies with whom I've kept up is married to a guy who sold furniture for 15 years. He hated it and he hated sales, because the day before he'd have to go through and mark all the furniture way up and then slap a "sale" price on the jacked up price.

If you don't want to get ripped off, the only way I know is to keep a price notebook and take notes on what things cost over a period of time from several places: after a while you'll notice what the usual regular price averages for something and can tell if something is a good deal or not. A good way to get genuine prices on something is to go into a quality store with good upscale products: not a discount store but one with good service, and see what the regular price on merchandise is, over time. Also you can check out what good merchandise ought to look like. Then when you run across something somewhere else, you really will have at least a baseline to compare the price and quality.

eta~I have a couple stores I especially like and they get merchandise I like in, and I haunt it until it gets marked down. I saw how much it actually started out costing and I know what the discount I am getting, actually is. If that is I'm lucky enough that it isn't gone first. Sometimes I luck out though. :-)

"Some British woman stabs herself in the eye with a biscuit, and then, staggering around blindly, trips and falls onto a perfectly innocent British man, just trying to enjoy his crumpet. And wham! she's pregnant."

No comments:

Post a Comment